George Robert Lazenby was born September 5, 1939 in Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia, to Sheila Joan (Bodel) and George Edward Lazenby. He moved to London, England in 1964, after serving in the Australian Army. Before becoming an actor, he worked as an auto mechanic, used car salesman, prestige car salesman, and as a male model, in London, England. In 1968, Lazenby was cast as "James Bond", despite his only previous acting experience being in commercials, and his only film appearance being a bit-part in a 1965 Italian-made Bond spoof. Lazenby won the role based on a screen-test fight scene, the strength of his interviews, fight skills and audition footage. A chance encounter with Bond series producer Albert R. Broccoli in a hair salon in 1966, in London, had given Lazenby his first shot at getting the role. Broccoli had made a mental note to remember Lazenby as a possible candidate at the time when he thought Lazenby looked like a Bond. The lengths Lazenby went to to get the role included spending his last pounds on acquiring a tailor-made suit from Sean Connery's tailor, which was originally made for Connery, along with purchasing a very Bondish-looking Rolex watch. In this article, we will talk about George Lazenby's Biography including Net Worth, Age, Birthday, Height, Weight, Family, Children etc.
George Lazenby Biography
Lazenby quit the role of Bond right before the premiere of his only film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969), citing he would get other acting roles, and that his Bond contract, which was fourteen pages thick, was too demanding on him.
In his post-Bond career, Lazenby has acted in TV movies, commercials, various recurring roles in TV series, the film series "Emmanuelle", several Bond movie spoofs, TV guest appearances, provided voice for several animated movies and series, and several Hong Kong action films, using his martial arts expertise.
To know his complete profile, check the following table.
|Birth Name/Full Name||:||George Robert Lazenby|
|Other Name (s)||:||George Lazenbi ,|
|Date of Birth||:||September 05, 1939|
|Birthplace||:||Queanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia|
|Profession (s)||:||Actor ,|
You may like:
George Lazenby Age in 2023 and Birthday Info
In this section, we will add George Lazenby's birthday-related information. George Lazenby was born in Queanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia on September 05, 1939. Check the below table for more information.
|Date of Birth||:||September 05, 1939|
|Birth Place||:||Queanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia|
|Age in 2023||:||84 years|
|Next Birthday||:||05 September, 2023|
George Lazenby Height and Weight
Now we are going to add George Lazenby's Height (In Meter, Centi Meter, and Feet-Inches) and Weight (In Kilogram and Pounds). As weight changes frequently, we may not have the current weight of George Lazenby. The height of George Lazenby is 1.87 m. Check the below table to see in more units.
|Height in Meter||:||1.87 m.|
|Height in Centimeter||:||187 cm.|
|Height in Feet-inches||:||6'2"|
|Weight in Kilogram||:||- kg|
|Weight in Pounds||:||- lb|
George Lazenby Family (Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings, Relatives)
In this section, we will add George Lazenby's complete family information including his martial status, husbandorwife, children, parents, relatives, and siblings.
|Spouse (s)||:||Pam Shriver (12 June 2002 - present) (filed for divorce) (3 children) ,|
Christina Gannett (1971 - 1995) (divorced) (2 children)
|Parents (Father and Mother)||:||George Edward Lazenby ,|
Sheila Joan Lazenby
George Lazenby Social Accounts (Facebbok, Instagram, Twitter, Website)
In this section, we will add George Lazenby's Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and personal website.
|:||George Lazenby Facebook|
|:||George Lazenby Instagram|
|:||George Lazenby Twitter|
|Personal Website||:||George Lazenby Webiste|
George Lazenby Net Worth in 2023
You might be interested to know what is the net worth of George Lazenby? As of 2022, the net worth of George Lazenby is $20 million. We do not guarantee the net worth of George Lazenby is the exact amount. This is based on several sources on the internet.
George Lazenby Facts and Trivia
Here is the list of top facts about George Lazenby.
- Was the highest paid male model in Europe prior to playing James Bond.
- Except for TV commercials, he had no previous acting experience when he was cast as James Bond.
- Zachary, his son with Christina Gannett, died of brain cancer when he was 20 years old in 1994.
- Bond producer Albert R. Broccoli, remarked that Lazenby could have been the best Bond had he not quit after just one film.
- He was a martial arts instructor in the Australian army, and holds more than one black belt in the martial arts. He studied martial arts under Bruce Lee himself.
- He was set to co-star in the biggest budgeted action/martial arts film of all time in 1973, along with Bruce Lee. However, Lee died two weeks before the film was to begin shooting. (The film, originally titled "Shrine of Ultimate Bliss," was eventually made, but on a considerably smaller budget, and was given a limited theatrical release, excluding the U.S.)
- Broke a stuntman's nose during a Bond fight screen test, and it was this physical strength that finalized his selection as Bond.
- Was considered by producer Kevin McClory to play James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Again (1983) but was dropped from consideration when Sean Connery confirmed he wanted the role.
- He was offered a seven-movie deal by the Bond producers, but quit the role because he felt that the tuxedo-clad Bond would die out in the new hippie culture that had permeated society in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- Was the #1 male fashion model in the world from 1964 to 1968.
- His agent, Maggie Smith, told him that he should apply for Bond, since in her opinion, his arrogance would surely win him the role.
- His publicist, Ronan O'Rahilly, announced that Lazenby would not make a second Bond film. After this he was released out of his Bond contract. Lazenby himself, stated afterward that he never told his publicist he was quitting Bond.
- Was a car salesman in Canberra, Australia after leaving school.
- Is an accomplished skier and in fact had won two skiing contests in Australia before becoming James Bond.
- Competes on the senior circuit in off-road dirt bike racing, and in stock car racing. George has won several celebrity stock car races and dirt-bike races, as well as amateur and professional races in both.
- Lazenby has ridden his various motorcycles across the United States, on three different occasions.
- Lazenby's favorite hobby is playing golf. He plays it at least 5 or 6 times a week.
- Lived in Keith Moon's famous London Waterhouse complete with Hydro Hovercraft that came right into the living room through the front door, for a period of 6 months in the late '60s.
- His daughter Melanie Andrea, from his first marriage to Christina Gannett, was born on September 13, 1973. Melanie is one of Manhattan's top real estate agents, and in May 2013 was the broker for the sale of a unique, block-long, $10 million condominium apartment to Chelsea Clinton and husband.
- He was the youngest actor to play James Bond, being 30 when On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) was released.
- John Cleese wanted him to play the part of Jesus in the Monty Python movie, Life of Brian (1979). Cleese said in his opinion it would be absolutely hilarious to have Lazenby portray Christ, and he wanted the tag line of the film to be "George Lazenby IS Jesus Christ." But when the film's producers contacted his agent they were informed that he was overseas working on another film project and was unavailable. Kenneth Colley was then cast as Jesus.
- Son: George Samuel Lazenby (b. 12 July 2004) with Pam Shriver Twins: Samuel Robert and Kaitlin Elizabeth (b. 1 October 2005) with Pam Shriver
- He says that his favorite Bond film is Goldfinger (1964).
- Lakers star Kobe Bryant was at one time one of George's neighbors at one of George's Southern California homes.
- He owns mansions in Hawaii, USA; Brentwood, California, USA; Australia; and a 600 acre estate/ranch in Valyermo, Unincorporated Los Angeles County, California, USA.
- He is a big fan of Australian tennis star Lleyton Hewitt.
- Served as a sergeant in the Australian Special Forces.
- He holds the unique distinction of having been both The Marlboro Man and James Bond, as he played 007 in one film and was also the European Marlboro Man.
- His lead role in the prime time soap opera Rituals (1984) was considered to be his "comeback gig". Many industry experts expected this would bring him to "A" status in Hollywood. However, "Rituals" received poor ratings and was canceled after just one season by ABC.
- Lazenby signed a four-film contract with Raymond Chow's famed Hong Kong- based Golden Harvest Productions in 1973. He was first to co-star with Bruce Lee in Lee's upcoming film Game of Death (1978), as Lee's Western adversary. However, Lee died just four days after Lazenby signed the contract. At the time Lazenby signed the contract, it was considered the most coveted available contract in the international movie industry. But Lazenby's soon-to-be huge comeback after having earlier quit the role of James Bond ended when Lee suddenly died. Lazenby would go on to star in the next three Golden Harvest films that were originally set to feature himself and Lee. Tie jin gang da po zi yang guan (1974) ("The Shrine of Ultimate Bliss"), The Man from Hong Kong (1975) and E tan qun ying hui (1976) ("A Queen's Ransom"). In "Tie jin gang da po zi yang guan" Lazenby took on Lee's role and Angela Mao took on the role Lazenby was first intended to play. While in the next two films, "The Man from Hong Kong" and "E tan qun hing ying hui", Jimmy Wang Yu replaced Lee and Lazenby returned to his original role.
- He was Golden Harvest studios original replacement for Bruce Lee after Lee died. Lazenby had already signed a contract with the studio to co-star with Lee in Game of Death (1978), but Lee died during filming. Lazenby then replaced Lee in what was to be Lee's next film, "The Shrine of Ultimate Bliss", Tie jin gang da po zi yang guan (1974). After that film, Jimmy Wang Yu was signed to replace Lee and Lazenby moved back to his original co-starring role as the "Western Adversary".
- This makes Lazenby the actor that first replaced Sean Connery as James Bond and also the actor that first replaced Bruce Lee as Golden Harvest's martial arts action hero after Lee's death. Many subsequent actors would then follow Lazenby playing Bond as well as imitating Bruce Lee.
- He was supposed to have dinner with Bruce Lee the night that Lee died. He attended Lee's funeral service.
- He was a close personal friend of Bruce Lee. He met Lee in 1972 and the two became fast friends. Lazenby studied Lee's personal martial arts and philosophical teaching of "Jeet Kune Do" under Lee until the time of Lee's death in 1973. Lazenby was actually going to have dinner with Bruce the night he died. Lazenby would later say that it was Lee's teachings that allowed him to go on to have such a successful business career and personal life.
- During the 1970s and 1980s he raced motorcycles and in the 1990s he backed a restaurant chain, the Spy House.
- He is estimated to be the wealthiest actor to have played James Bond.
- He has a black belt in karate.
- Semi-retired from acting in 1993, and intended to retire completely in 2003, only to return to acting in 2012, averaging one film or television role per year since restarting, with two films in the pipeline as of 2020..
- Earlier in life, Lazenby donated a kidney to a family member.
- Lives in Los Angeles, California.
- Worked as a prestige car salesman in London's Park Lane district in the 1960s.
- Worked as an auto mechanic in the 1960s.
- Competitor in the senior off-road dirt-bike and stock car racing circuits.
- The first film that Lazenby was signed to make with Bruce Lee, Game of Death (1978), which was already in production at the time of Lee's death in 1973, was not released until 1978. Because of the press coverage surrounding Lee's death, and because Lazenby was to have dinner with Lee the night before he died, Golden Harvest Productions decided to delay the film and remove Lazenby from it. Because Lazenby had an agreement to be in the film he was paid for it, and also was edited into the film with archive fighting footage from one of his other Golden Harvest films.
- Later regretted leaving the Bond series after just one film. He claimed he listened to bad advice.
- Living on his 600 acre ranch in Valyermo, an unincorporated community in Los Angeles County, California, USA with his wife, ESPN Sports tennis analyst and former internationally top-ranked pro-tennis player Pam Shriver. [June 2003]
- Splitting his time between his homes in Brentwood, Los Angeles, California, USA; in Australia; on his 600 acre ranch in Valyermo, unincorporated Los Angeles County, California, USA; while also traveling with his wife, ESPN's Pam Shriver, to all of the major pro tennis tournaments around the world. [February 2005]
- His autobiography, The Other Fella, was scheduled to be released in hardcover by Century in 2013, and in paperback by Arrow in 2013, but as of 2015 the book has not been released.
- In the past, admitted to not seeing any of the 007 movies to be released after his own, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969). However, he has commented, and been quoted, on various Bond movies, especially the Bond films of the Daniel Craig era (see below).
- The first film he made in his native Australia was The Man from Hong Kong (1975).
- He was offered James Coburn's role in Giù la testa (1971), but turned it down.
- Is mentioned by Marge Simpson in The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XII (2001).
- His surname is pronounced "Lay-ZIN-bee".
- Dated Jill St. John (the main Bond girl in Diamonds Are Forever (1971), the first official Bond movie after Lazenby's single appearance) and Barbra Streisand (who later married James Brolin who screen tested for 007 in the 1980s, and was considered for the Bond role at least one other time).
- His father was the greens keeper for their town's bowls club.
- Supposedly contracted to make twenty sequel television movies of the original Emmanuelle (1974), to be made for French television, in the role of Mario, Sylvia Kristel's mentor. In the end, he only made seven "Emmanuelle" movies, in the role of Mario, with Kristel, although she made an "Emmanuelle" feature film during that run of TV movies, without him, or the character of Mario, who was an exclusively television character.
- Born on exactly the same date as William Devane (of Knots Landing (1979) fame).
- He is believed to be the only Bond star who did not have his hair enhanced at all.
- He is the only James Bond actor to have martial arts experience prior to taking on the role.
- He is the only actor, other than Sean Connery, to play James Bond to have served in the military and the only one to have served in any branch of the Special Forces as Bond did.
- With the death of actor Sean Connery, October 31st 2020, Lazenby is now the earliest and oldest living actor who has portrayed James Bond.
- The day when George Lazenby was born was Tuesday.
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions about George Lazenby in the context of this article.
What is the Net Worth of George Lazenby?
Where is the birthplace of George Lazenby?
How old is George Lazenby?
How tall is George Lazenby?
is George Lazenby married?
The information on this page about George Lazenby's Net worth, Age, Height, Family, etc is based on Wikipedia, IMDB, Forbes, and other trusted online sources. If you notice anything wrong, contact us. Hope you enjoyed the article. Do not hesitate to share your thoughts in the comment section.