The son of a solicitor, British character actor John Le Mesurier attended public school in Dorset, England, before embarking on a career in law. However, acting was his true calling, and at age 20, with his parents' approval, he began his acting career by studying drama at the Fay Compton School of Acting, where one of his classmates was Alec Guinness. In this article, we will talk about John Le Mesurier's Biography including Net Worth, Age, Birthday, Height, Weight, Family, Children etc.
John Le Mesurier Biography
After acting school he performed in repertory until World War II, when he served as a captain in the Northwest Indian Frontier.
After the war, he returned to the stage and made his film debut in Death in the Hand (1948). By the late 1950s Le Mesurier had made appearances in numerous films, especially those made by the Boulting Brothers, and also on television, particularly on Hancock's Half Hour (1956). In 1968 he landed arguably his most popular role, that of Sgt. Wilson in the long-running television series Dad's Army (1968). Although preferring comedy, Le Mesurier also excelled in drama, winning a BAFTA award for Best Actor of the Year in 1971 for his performance in Dennis Potter's "Traitor (1971) (TV)".
In 1977, during "Dad's Army", he had become very ill, but he recovered and continued acting until his death six years later.
To know his complete profile, check the following table.
|Name||:||John Le Mesurier|
|Birth Name/Full Name||:||John Elton Le Mesurier Halliley|
|Nickname (s)||:||Le Mez|
|Other Name (s)||:||John Le Meseurier ,|
John LeMesurier ,
John Lemesurier ,
John le Mesurier
|Date of Birth||:||April 05, 1912|
|Birthplace||:||Bedford, Bedfordshire, England, UK|
|Profession (s)||:||Actor ,|
You may like:
John Le Mesurier Age in 2023 and Birthday Info
In this section, we will add John Le Mesurier's birthday-related information. John Le Mesurier was born in Bedford, Bedfordshire, England, UK on April 05, 1912.He died on in Ramsgate, Kent, England, UK (cirrhosis of the liver). Check the below table for more information.
|Date of Birth||:||April 05, 1912|
|Birth Place||:||Bedford, Bedfordshire, England, UK|
|Date of Death||:||1983-11-15|
|Death Place||:||Ramsgate, Kent, England, UK (cirrhosis of the liver)|
|Next Birthday||:||05 April, 2024|
John Le Mesurier Height and Weight
Now we are going to add John Le Mesurier's Height (In Meter, Centi Meter, and Feet-Inches) and Weight (In Kilogram and Pounds). As weight changes frequently, we may not have the current weight of John Le Mesurier. The height of John Le Mesurier is 1.78 m. Check the below table to see in more units.
|Height in Meter||:||1.78 m.|
|Height in Centimeter||:||178 cm.|
|Height in Feet-inches||:||5'10"|
|Weight in Kilogram||:||- kg|
|Weight in Pounds||:||- lb|
John Le Mesurier Family (Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings, Relatives)
In this section, we will add John Le Mesurier's complete family information including his martial status, husbandorwife, children, parents, relatives, and siblings.
|Spouse (s)||:||Joan Le Mesurier (2 March 1966 - 15 November 1983) (his death) ,|
Hattie Jacques (10 November 1949 - 31 August 1965) (divorced) (2 children) ,
June Melville (18 April 1940 - 1949) (divorced)
|Children (s)||:||Robin Le Mesurier ,|
Kim Le Mesurier
|Parents (Father and Mother)||:||-|
John Le Mesurier Social Accounts (Facebbok, Instagram, Twitter, Website)
In this section, we will add John Le Mesurier's Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and personal website.
|:||John Le Mesurier Facebook|
|:||John Le Mesurier Instagram|
|:||John Le Mesurier Twitter|
|Personal Website||:||John Le Mesurier Webiste|
John Le Mesurier Net Worth in 2023
Are you curious to know what was the net worth of John Le Mesurier at time when he died. The net worth of John Le Mesurier was $9 Million. We do not guarantee the net worth of John Le Mesurier is the exact amount. This is based on several sources on the internet.
John Le Mesurier Facts and Trivia
Here is the list of top facts about John Le Mesurier.
- He had two sons with actress Hattie Jacques: Robin Le Mesurier (born 22 March 1953) and Kim Le Mesurier (born 12 October 1956). Kim died of an accidental drugs overdose on 6 October 1991, exactly 11 years after his mother's death.
- He asked his wife Joan to place in The Times the following announcement of his death: "John Le Mesurier wishes it to be known that he conked out on November 15th. He sadly misses his family and friends.".
- He was quoted as saying "It's all been rather lovely" before slipping into a final coma.
- In her book, "Dear John", Joan Le Mesurier gives her husband's date of death as 16th November 1983.
- He separated from his wife Joan Le Mesurier in the mid-1960s when she had an affair with their mutual friend Tony Hancock. John was understanding, and they began living together again after Hancock's death in 1968.
- His autobiography "A Jobbing Actor" was released posthumously in 1984.
- His surname was pronounced like "measurer" - the "i" was silent.
- A memorial service was held for him at St Paul's Church, Covent Garden on 16th February 1984.
- He is best known for his role on Dad's Army (1968). He also went on to play Bilbo Baggins in the BBC Radio production of The Lord of the Rings, opposite Ian Holm and Bill Nighy. Holm went on to play Bilbo in Peter Jackson's films, while Nighy appeared in Dad's Army (2016).
- He was the son of Charles Elton (1881-1964) and Amy Michelle Halliley (née Le Mesurier) (1878-1968).
- He says in his autobiography that the original idea for Dad's Army (1968) was for him to play Captain Mainwaring and for Arthur Lowe to be an NCO. He says 'I hate to think how we would have fared if we had followed that'.
- He made a series of commercials for Australian television advertising British Airways.
- He voiced the Home Pride Flour commercials on television for 16 years.
- He loved jazz and going to Ronnie Scott's famous jazz club in London.
- He grew up in Bury St Edmunds where, following his father's wishes, he studied law for a while and worked in a solicitor's office, but his love was acting and he eventually joined a rep company.
- In 1977 he was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver but recovered and lived for another six years before dying in Ramsgate Hospital.
- He met Joan Malin, who would become his third wife, in 1964. His then wife, Hattie Jacques, was having an affair with her driver, John Schofield, and John agreed to take the blame in the divorce case so as not to damage her reputation or career. He and Joan remained good friends with Hattie until her death in 1980.
- A few months into their marriage, John Le Mesurier's's third wife, Joan, left him for his best friend, Tony Hancock. A year later, having found Hancock an alcoholic, violent and impossible to live with, Joan returned to John. Hancock committed suicide in Australia in 1968. John was very forgiving of Joan and defended her for the rest of his days.
- Would ruefully deflect congratulation on his BAFTA win (for his role as Adrian Harris in Dennis Potter's acclaimed Play for Today: Traitor (1971) by pointing out that the inscription it carried was the somewhat less-than-complimentary "John Le Mesurier - Traitor".
- Could play the piano and loved jazz. In his autobiography he said "If you happen to walk into a cocktail bar and you see an elderly grey-haired gentleman in a white jacket playing the piano rather badly, take another look - it might be me.".
- The film Monsieur Lecoq (1967) was unfinished and abandoned.
- He was a very prolific British character actor known for his slight resemblance to fellow countryman Boris Karloff.
- His interment was at Saint George's Churchyard in Ramsgate.
- Not to be confused with one of disgraced MP Jeremy Thorpe's co-defendants on a charge of attempted murder, carpet dealer John Le Measurier (although le Measurier's name is sometimes spelled identically). The New Yorker advised potential US viewers of A Very English Scandal (2018), about the Thorpe case, "Imagine that one of the Watergate burglars had been named Alan Alda".
- In 1940 he was called up to the army and prior to his posting to India he married June Melville but she was an alcoholic and the marriage eventually collapsed.
- Was known for being the same off screen as on - gentle and self-deprecating.
- In Dads Army he wanted to be Captain Mannering.
- Grew up in Bury St Edmunds.
- He loved jazz and played the piano.
- Called up into the army in 1940.
- His father wanted him to go into law.
- He was a talented cricketer and played for Suffolk, if he'd been just that bit better he might have achieved first class county status. His other loves were classical and jazz music.
- The day when John Le Mesurier was born was Friday.
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions about John Le Mesurier in the context of this article.
What was the Net Worth of John Le Mesurier?
Where is the birthplace of John Le Mesurier?
How old was John Le Mesurier?
How tall was John Le Mesurier?
was John Le Mesurier married?
The information on this page about John Le Mesurier's Net worth, Age, Height, Family, etc is based on Wikipedia, IMDB, Forbes, and other trusted online sources. If you notice anything wrong, contact us. Hope you enjoyed the article. Do not hesitate to share your thoughts in the comment section.